Authors pass out business cards at conferences like Halloween candy…by the handful. And why not? Business cards and bookmarks are cheap marketing tools for their books. Everyone is a potential reader. Every author, agent, and editor, a potential contact.
But what about writers? They don’t have books to market. Some may not even have a website.
The answer. Yes! Yes, yes, yes. And here are my reasons why.
- Opportunity Knocks Rarely, But I Will Be Ready If It Does – You never know when agents or editors will be impressed and ask for your info.
- I May Work In my PJs, But I’m A Professional – Cards show that you take your writing seriously.
- Wanna Join My Writing Group? – They’re great to give to other writers and authors you meet and make connections with. They’ll help you keep in touch.
- Follow Me Boys, Follow Me – The more people you get to follow you, the more readers you’ll have when you’re published.
- I Write MG Serial Killer Princess Novels – Buying cards forces you to brand yourself properly.
- That New Card Smell – Let’s face it, business cards are pretty and shiny!
There it is, all the reasons to get yourself some business cards–except when the answer is no. Here are a few reasons why business cards may not be right for you.
- Con Is Short For Convict – You don’t go to writing conferences.
- Big Brother Is Watching You – You don’t have a web presence–website and/or social media.
- I Am A Lone Reed – Your branding is wrong. (Figure it out, then get cards)
- Breakfast, Lunch, And Dinner–Ramen, Ramen, and Ramen – You can’t afford them, so don’t get them.
Okay, what if you’re ready to get cards? Where do you start? What do you need to know?
I just ordered mine, and here’s what they look like.
Beautiful! But my first run at business cards was a disaster. They looked more like hot pink Post It notes, scribbled over by a four year old. I made so many mistakes. Here’s a some of dos and don’ts I learned.
- What’s Wrong With MG Serial Killer Princess Novels? – Cards should reflect your personality and your genre.
- Stalkers Wanted – Do NOT list sensitive information (phone numbers, home address, etc.)
- Sell Yourself…Not Like THAT! – Be happy with the way you’ve branded yourself.
- I Feel Pretty, Oh So Pretty – Have a photo of yourself. People get a lot of cards at events, and it’s easier to remember a face.
- Business Cards Make Great Tinder – Don’t buy too many. You can always order more. Besides, you may be changing them when you’re published.
Are there any other reasons why business cards rock? Leave a comment, and let me know.